How-To: Improving Quality and Productivity in 2018
It’s 2018 — finally! The promise of a new year fills each of us with excitement, anticipation, and the hope of accomplishing goals. We compiled a list of the four top tips for improving quality and productivity in the workplace, and kickoff 2018 with a BANG!
1. Minimize Interruptions
- No More Multitasking: Although we have been taught all of our lives that multitasking helps us accomplish more, numerous studies confirmed that attempting to multitask leads to loss of time and productivity. Be laser focused by sticking to one task at a time.
- Turn Off Notifications: Ditch your notifications during office hours. It’s almost impossible in our day and age to resist the temptation of a blinking phone or computer screen, so practice self-control by setting aside a designated time to reply rather than responding sporadically throughout the day. All it takes is one email and before you know it you have been responding to messages for the 30 minutes!
- Batch Similar Tasks Together: Grouping similar tasks together helps to maintain the same frame of mind and ensures that workflow remains smooth.
2. Take Advantage of Small Moments
- Commute: Take advantage of whatever bonus time you may receive while commuting. Instead of scrolling through Facebook, playing a game, or creating a new Spotify playlist on the bus to work, use this time to create your daily to-do list, pound through some emails, or prep for your morning meeting.
- “Two-Minute Rule:” Entrepreneur Steve Olenski suggests utilizing the two-minute rule to take full advantage of small moments. If a task can be started and completed in two minutes, do it immediately! Olenski reported that doing tasks right away takes less time than going back and doing it at a later point. It’s a weight off your shoulders too.
3. Health First… Always
- Food Choices: With the stress of the everyday work routine, it can be easy to put your health and wellness on the back-burner. When caught up with hundreds of emails, tons of meetings, and constant pressure, food is simply seen as fuel to get us through the day. But, snacking on a cookie or two… or three has devastating effects on productivity levels. According to a Harvard Business Review article, “Food has a direct impact on our cognitive performance, which is why a poor decision at lunch can derail an entire afternoon.” To start your healthy year, we suggest three main tips: (1) Don’t wait until your starving to make choices, (2) Make healthy options (nuts, fruit, energy bars) easily available for grazing throughout the day; this leads to fewer drops and spikes of energy throughout the day, (3) Remove all temptations (okay… maybe keep one for a treat).
- Active Lifestyle: Food is not the only aspect of living a healthy lifestyle. It is just as important to get your body moving! Get up every hour while working, take a walk around the office or the neighborhood, and have a good stretch. Being active at least 30 minutes every day promotes blood flow to your brain and organs. Not only do we feel fitter, we think more clearly!
4. Optimal Work Environment
- Office Space: We can’t stress how much workspace affects productivity. If you are spending up to 40 weeks in an office, you need to enjoy the space! You must have comfortable seating arrangements, a functional desk, good lighting, and other ergonomic support. GorillaSpace can help you with this. Explore the hundreds of quality office spaces for rent at your fingertips.
The beginning of a new year is the perfect time to get organized and get into a new mindset of improving quality and productivity.
Whether it’s turning off notifications to boost focus, jotting down notes on the way to work, choosing a piece of fruit over chips, or taking the initiative to move into your dream office space, you can make 2018 your year.
We’ve given you the tips, now it’s in your hands to make it happen.